Once it is mid November, all of the Christmas lights and wreaths begin to go up along main streets across the Hill Country area. It seems like they forget about Thanksgiving and fast forward to Christmas. The streets quickly become decked with the Christmas décor, and the shops sparkle with all the breathtaking arrays of the perfect home and gift items.
I don’t know what town loves Christmas more than Fredericksburg, TX! When I say love Christmas, I mean they LOVE Christmas! They kick off the holiday season the day after Thanksgiving with the annual lighting of the 26 foot German Christmas Pyramid and the 30 foot Christmas Tree. The German Christmas tree is a handcrafted rotating wooden carousel-like structure that consists of several levels of Christmas motifs such as angels, nutcrackers and nativity scenes. It was actually designed and made in Germany then brought to Fredericksburg where it was assembled.
Market Platz is filled with lights, there is a German brass band and a choir and also a skating rink. It is a joyful evening and a great way to get in the holiday spirit!
On the cold Saturday night after Thanksgiving we ventured down to Bourne’s historic downtown to experiences Charles Dickens On Main. The crew and I strolled hand in hand sipping hot chocolate and singing Christmas carols. We glimmered with delight as we saw snow blowing through the streets (with a machine of course). Christmas carolers would pass us by dressed in period style clothing with top hats and poofy skirts taking us back in time. The littlest of the crew asked “why are those people dressed so fancy??”
It was a wonderful family friendly event filled with tasty food, plenty of hot chocolate, beautiful lights, and tons of smiles! The sights and sounds filled us up with holiday spirit.
Top 10 Holiday Events (in chronological order)
1. Fredericksburg – Lighting of the Christmas tree (day after Thanksgiving)
2. Johnson City – Lights Spectacular & Lighted Hooves & Wheels Parade (Friday & Saturday after Thanksgiving)
3. Bourne – Charles Dickens On Main (weekend of Thanksgiving)
4. Llano – Santa’s Big Night & “Starry Starry Nights” (Friday after Thanksgiving)
5. LBJ State Park in Stonewall – HOLIDAY COOKIE DECORATING & GERMAN TRADITIONS (Saturday after Thanksgiving)
6. Wimberly – Trail of Lights (Friday & Saturday after Thanksgiving)
7. Fredericksburg – Famous Christmas Parade (first Friday of December)
8. Bandera – Cowboy Capital Christmas Parade (first Friday in December)
9. Marble Falls – Walkway of Lights (season long extravaganza)
10. Buda – Budafest (first Saturday & Sunday of December)
Here is a calendar with more events in the Hill Country area.